Category Archive: process gas analysis
Proven Process Control Solutions for the Steel Industry
The City of Nashville, TN was rocked the week of May 8th with approximately 8,000 attendees/exhibitors at the AISTech 2017, The Iron & Steel Technology Conference and Exhibition.
As a supplier of off-gas equipment and technology, Tenova was present at the event as both exhibitor and contributor to the technical program with 10 technical papers for the Electric Arc Furnace and Basic Oxygen Furnace steel making industry combined. Canadian clean tech company, Tenova Goodfellow Inc. (TGI), with locations in Mississauga and Hamilton, Ontario, contributed a total of four papers.
As the “Center of Excellence” for process control technology development within the Tenova Group of Companies, TGI is focused on delivering innovative and integrated clean tech solutions that will improve the energy efficiency for EAF, BOF steelmakers and cement producers and having already achieved proven dramatic reductions in energy consumption and GHG emissions associated with these industries.
Our starting point is to exercise our innovative thinking cap to incorporate our proven real-time off-gas analysis technologies and fume system capabilities with our rugged off-gas process analyzers, state-of-the-art sensors and advanced modules, produced through our unit company, Nova Analytical Systems. The end result provides a compelling dual advantage to our customers for hardware and software solutions that results in reduced conversion costs, improved yield and increased productivity.
Our areas of expertise involve several areas:
- Endpoint detection for EAF and BOF steel making using a combination of TGI’s off-gas analysis, process models and innovative sensors to improve carbon, temperature and phosphorous endpoint prediction.
- Chemical energy control and optimization of EAF burners, lances and injectors using our proven closed-loop control methodology that is fully integrated with the plant automation system.
- Automatic tapping control and Intelligent slop detection for BOF steel making to provide operators with greater opportunity to decrease tap time and variability, reducing slag carry-over, as well as mitigate slopping events using lance vibration analysis.
- Fume system control for improved energy efficiency, process performance and related equipment design. Using CFD Modeling, our engineering solutions evaluate performance and aid in design specifications with cost effective solutions for all related equipment and processes.
- Proven off-gas analysis equipment with multi-point capabilities in a single compact optical analyzer to continuously analyze off-gas from multiple off-gas sampling locations.
To view our list of papers presented at AISTech 2017, click here.
To request your paper, click the button below.
Nova Analytical Systems is uniquely positioned to offer quality off-gas analysis to a wide range of process industries such as landfill, biogas, syngas, steel making, process atmosphere and smelting. Our mission for over 30 years is to provide high-tech continuous gas analysis that is reliable, innovative and relative to your process gas needs.
In our new product guide, Dependable Gas Analysis with DuraNOVA Continuous Gas Solutions, we outline our continuous gas analysis capabilities that offer a complete turnkey solution that combines superior technology housed in robust equipment. Our newest feature, “multi-point capability” provides even more options for maximum flexibility for real-time analysis.
The DuraNOVA line of continuous off-gas analyzers offers all combinations of gases and ranges to meet your engineering specification by combining:
- Smart Sensors – reliable sensor technologies that are precision heated and temperature controlled
- Smart Modules – combine the best of digital and analog to maximize analytical capability
- Smart Controls – offering uncomplicated calibration that are intuitive to use and for help when troubleshooting or doing preventative maintenance
Built on our heavy duty platform, the DuraNOVA design philosophy includes turnkey sample conditioning, gas analysis, environmental management and data communication all centrally located in one wall mounted cabinet.
Introducing the idea of “proactive” maintenance, an alert frequency can be configured by the end user that will send a maintenance alert to the control room when preventative maintenance on the analyzer is required. In the event of downtime, troubleshooting becomes a breeze with our touchscreen displays which display all diagnostic alarms inclusive of troubleshooting guides to get the equipment back up and running quickly.
Our goal is to offer the best-in-class 100% turnkey solutions that integrate sensors, sample conditioning and controls. For all your continuous process gas needs, look no further than DuraNOVA.
When choosing your next continuous off-gas analyzer solution, click here or on the download button above to learn more about our new DuraNOVA product line, by downloading our product guide.
Find out more about Nova’s continuous gas analyzers, or to request a custom quote, contact us today.
When evaluating your process gas analysis needs, the engineering specification is usually the start and the finish of the discussion and price and delivery are often the only criteria that are used to make the decision.
Assuming that the vendor’s offer meets the basic requirements of the engineering specification, the following considerations should be just the starting point of the discussion:
- Previous experience: are they still relevant for my need?
- Best price
- Quickest delivery
Filtering out vendors based solely on these discussion points may omit from the conversation other important considerations that may affect the “buy-in” of plant operators and maintenance staff.
Different departments will have differing priorities of what type of equipment and/or features may be required. While off-gas analysis does not have to be excessively complex, it should also not be regarded as just another piece of equipment that needs to be purchased.
Our top 7 additional considerations are meant to guide you through the purchasing process to ensure that your process gas needs will be met not just in the short term but also in the long term.
Top 7 Additional Considerations When Choosing Off-gas Analysis
- 1. Open communication with Project Team
- 2. Flexibility of Solution
- 3. Ease of Use
- 4. Established Durability
- 5. Ease of Service
- 6. Reputation and Brand
- 7. Considering Value vs. Price
Choosing the Right Off-Gas Analysis Supplier
In a B2B environment, being productive means that your process is continuously running with minimal interruption. When it comes to dependable continuous off-gas analysis for your process, the best place to start is to partner with a supplier who can think out of the box for optimal process performance.
Choosing the best supplier should be a top priority based on the following criteria:
- Years of experience
- Proven technology
- Approach to customer service, and
- Passion for Innovation
To learn more about our top 7 additional considerations for choosing your next off-gas analyzer solution, click here to download our most recent eBook or click on the title to receive – “Choosing The Right Gas Analyzer: Part 2, Additional Considerations”.