Methane (CH4) Analyzer
Methane (CH4) is an invisible and odorless gas that is the primary component of natural gas. Natural methane is found beneath the ocean floor and underground. It is also present at 1,800 parts per billion (ppb) in the earth’s atmosphere. Methane is a byproduct of various industrial processes and may be emitted into the atmosphere if it is not treated or combusted (flared). Methane is a potent greenhouse gas that can persist in the atmosphere. It is important to reduce methane emissions and monitor its atmospheric levels. It may also be important to measure CH4 in some industrial processes for quality or productivity reasons.
Nova Analytical relies on infrared (IR) technology to measure methane. Our methane analyzers may be applied to various applications requiring continuous or spot-check measurements, with optional features to handle different sample pressures or temperatures. Understanding the various characteristics of methane analyzers, and some of the ideal applications for methane gas analysis can help you determine what solution is best suited for your needs.
Benefits of Methane (CH4) Analyzers
Methane analyzers use IR methodology to measure methane gas. IR technology is ideal for detecting methane because the gas absorbs IR energy at known spectral bands. The technology provides rapid measurements in percent (%) ranges, and in some applications, parts per million (ppm) ranges.
Methane (CH4) analyzers provide the following advantages:
- Sensitivity & Range. Gas detectors can identify low or high levels of methane, depending on the needs of the application.
- Multi-component Analysis Capacity. Some CH4 analyzers can also provide simultaneous monitoring of other gases, such as carbon dioxide (CO2), carbon monoxide (CO), hydrogen (H2), and oxygen (O2).
- Permanent / Continuous Analysis. Some applications require continuous measurement of CH4. With proper sample conditioning, continuous measurement is available even in some challenging applications.
- Portability. Methane analyzers may also be available in portable formats, which can eliminate time spent obtaining grab samples, transporting them to labs, and waiting for test results. This may be especially attractive in cases where the accuracy requirements are not particularly high, and the cost of lab analysis is not justified.
Methane (CH4) Analyzer Applications
Various industries depend on methane (CH4) analyzers. Applications that create CH4, that require CH4 as an input, or that can not tolerate the presence of CH4, can all benefit from a reliable CH4 monitoring system. Methane analyzers are ideal for:
- Coal mining
- Combustion systems
- Farming activities
- Some industrial processes
- Oil and natural gas systems
- Wastewater treatment
- Metal heat treating
- Small-scale power generation
Methane (CH4) Analyzers From Nova Analytical
At Nova Analytical, we serve various traditional industries and emerging markets with gas analysis equipment. Our products include continuous and portable methane gas analyzers that use IR methodology to measure CH4 levels. Depending on your particular needs, our methane analyzers can come with optional built-in sample pumps or pressure regulators. We also offer equipment for sample conditioning in various industrial applications.
Nova Analytical offers the following methane gas analyzer models:
Partner With Nova Analytical for Your Methane (CH4) Monitoring Needs
Nova Analytical offers several options for monitoring CH4 and other gases. Our gas analyzers are available in formats that can offer portability, accuracy, continuous operation, and other features.
Nova Analytical has been manufacturing high-quality gas analysis equipment for more than 40 years. We optimize our equipment for long-term dependability and versatility at a competitive price. Contact us or request a quote today to learn more about our methane analysis equipment.