Proven Process Control Solutions for the Steel Industry
The City of Nashville, TN was rocked the week of May 8th with approximately 8,000 attendees/exhibitors at the AISTech 2017, The Iron & Steel Technology Conference and Exhibition.
As a supplier of off-gas equipment and technology, Tenova was present at the event as both exhibitor and contributor to the technical program with 10 technical papers for the Electric Arc Furnace and Basic Oxygen Furnace steel making industry combined. Canadian clean tech company, Tenova Goodfellow Inc. (TGI), with locations in Mississauga and Hamilton, Ontario, contributed a total of four papers.
As the “Center of Excellence” for process control technology development within the Tenova Group of Companies, TGI is focused on delivering innovative and integrated clean tech solutions that will improve the energy efficiency for EAF, BOF steelmakers and cement producers and having already achieved proven dramatic reductions in energy consumption and GHG emissions associated with these industries.
Our starting point is to exercise our innovative thinking cap to incorporate our proven real-time off-gas analysis technologies and fume system capabilities with our rugged off-gas process analyzers, state-of-the-art sensors and advanced modules, produced through our unit company, Nova Analytical Systems. The end result provides a compelling dual advantage to our customers for hardware and software solutions that results in reduced conversion costs, improved yield and increased productivity.
Our areas of expertise involve several areas:
- Endpoint detection for EAF and BOF steel making using a combination of TGI’s off-gas analysis, process models and innovative sensors to improve carbon, temperature and phosphorous endpoint prediction.
- Chemical energy control and optimization of EAF burners, lances and injectors using our proven closed-loop control methodology that is fully integrated with the plant automation system.
- Automatic tapping control and Intelligent slop detection for BOF steel making to provide operators with greater opportunity to decrease tap time and variability, reducing slag carry-over, as well as mitigate slopping events using lance vibration analysis.
- Fume system control for improved energy efficiency, process performance and related equipment design. Using CFD Modeling, our engineering solutions evaluate performance and aid in design specifications with cost effective solutions for all related equipment and processes.
- Proven off-gas analysis equipment with multi-point capabilities in a single compact optical analyzer to continuously analyze off-gas from multiple off-gas sampling locations.
To view our list of papers presented at AISTech 2017, click here.
To request your paper, click the button below.